Monday, November 22, 2021

Posted By on Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 1:00 AM

Friday, November 19, 2021

Posted By on Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 1:00 PM

Posted By on Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 6:45 AM

click to enlarge As COVID cases rise in Arizona, officials push vaccinations and masks for the holidays
Travis Robertson, Cronkite News

PHOENIX – As hospitalizations rise and the holidays approach, health officials concerned about a new wave of infections are urging Arizonans to take preventative measures to stop the spread of COVID-19 and seasonal influenza.

Maricopa County last week experienced the biggest spike in daily cases since August, peaking at 4,708 on Nov. 8. COVID 19 hospitalizations and ICU cases also are up at the state’s largest hospital systems, placing strain on a workforce already struggling with staff shortages.

“We still have some capacity, but we’re stretched thin,” Dr. Michael White, chief clinical officer at Valleywise Health, told a news conference Wednesday. “It’s not just available space to take care of folks, it’s the qualified health care professionals and the team we need to be able to care for patients at the ICU level of care.”

White said there were 40 COVID-positive patients hospitalized on Wednesday, twice the number of three weeks ago.

Banner Health, Arizona’s largest health care system, which treats 44% of all COVID 19 cases in the state, reports a significant increase in COVID 19 admissions in the last week. Banner on Tuesday reported the highest ICU census in the past eight months.

The largest spike in the pandemic so far in Arizona occurred in early January, just after last year’s holiday season.

In the face of this growing concern, White stressed the importance of getting vaccinated, and he advised against relying on recently developed antiviral pills, such as Molnupiravir.

Posted By on Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 1:00 AM

Thursday, November 18, 2021

Posted By on Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 7:14 PM

click to enlarge County Administrator Released from Hospital
Courtesy Pima County
Pima County Administrator Chuck Huckelberry has been released from Banner University Hospital.

Pima County posed an update on Huckelberry's health via wife, Maureen Huckelberry, who said that Huckelberry, who turns 72 on Monday, Nov. 22, was on the road to recovery.

“Chuck is out of the hospital and is now receiving care and physical and other therapies at a new facility," Maureen Huckelberry said. "His physicians and care team are happy with his progress recovering from his injuries."

Huckelberry, who has been county administrator since 1993, had been in the hospital since he was struck by a car on Oct. 23 while cycling downtown. He suffered a severe head injury that including bleeding on the brain.

Maureen Huckelberry thanked the staff at Banner University.

"The care they provided Chuck and the kind and nurturing support they gave to me and my family was extraordinary," she said. "Again, I want to thank everyone for their continued concern for Chuck and his progress. It is deeply touching and meaningful to me, Chuck and our entire family."

She also encouraged Pima County residents to consider giving blood in honor of Huckelberry's upcoming birthday.

Posted By on Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 11:06 AM

Pima County is expanding COVID booster eligibility rules to allow anyone over 18 to get the booster.

As Pima County hospitals fill up because of an increase in COVID cases, county officials are expanding eligibility ahead of the CDC’s recommendation.

Banner Health officials announced earlier this week that they have seen a significant increase in COVID ICU admissions and that COVID patients now account for more than a third of all ICU patients in Banner’s Arizona hospitals.

Dr. Joe Gerald, an epidemiologist with the UA Zuckerman School of Public Health who has been tracking COVID cases since the virus first arrived in Arizona, reported that as of Nov 10, 24% of Arizona’s general ward beds were used by COVID-19 patients—a 16% increase from a week before.

COVID hospitalizations align with the increasing trend of rising COVID-19 cases all over Arizona. As of Nov 7, Arizona’s COVID cases increased by 30% from the week prior, according to Gerald’s COVID report. From Nov 1 to Nov 9, Pima County cases increased by 38%, according to the Arizona Department of Health Services. 

Pima County Health Department Director Dr. Theresa Cullen said at a Nov. 17 press conference that 25% of cases reported in October were of vaccinated people. The breakthrough infection rate has risen from 1% to 1.2%, indicating to health officials that vaccines have lower effectiveness over time.

“Vaccination is not sufficient to prevent transmission and clearly vaccination does not last forever, it doesn’t work that way for the flu either,” Pima County Chief Medical Officer and Deputy County Administrator Dr. Francisco Garcia said during the Pima County Board of Supervisors Nov. 16 meeting.

Health officials found that breakthrough cases tend to happen at about six months after full vaccination. As a result, Pima County health officials are urging all Pima County residents to get a booster shot if it’s been six months since their second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two months since their single shot of Johnson & Johnson. 

Posted By on Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 6:45 AM

click to enlarge Tribal leaders welcome return of White House meetings after four years
Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez
Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez poses with President Joe Biden at the signing ceremony for a massive infrastructure bill Monday, the same day the White House opened a two-day Tribal Nations Summit. Tribal leaders welcomed the resumption of the nation-to-nation meeting, which had been an annual event in the Obama administration.

WASHINGTON – Tribal leaders said the just-ended White House summit on tribal affairs “shows promise” for the federal commitment to solving problems in Indian Country and to giving Native Americans a voice in the process.

The two-day “Nation-to-Nation dialogue on critical issues in Indian Country” revives what had been an annual gathering under the Obama White House that was suspended during the Trump administration.

“It is very important that we come back together in unity with the federal government,” Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez said Tuesday, as the summit was winding down.

That was echoed by the Association on American Indian Affairs, which said in a prepared statement that the summit shows “promise for federal commitment to protect and invigorate Native nation sovereignty.”

“Though federal policy of the past has deemed Native Peoples as a ‘problem’ and worked to outlaw and terminate every part of our personhood and sovereignty, Native Nations and their citizens are finally being recognized as an important part of the future of this country,” the statement said.

This year’s event was staged virtually because of COVID-19 concerns, but President Joe Biden still made the most of the event, using it to announce several tribal initiatives and to push for his Build Back Better plan.

Biden called it a “big day” Monday as he kicked off the summit, which included presentations by him and by Vice President Kamala Harris as well as listening sessions with Cabinet secretaries, from Interior to Homeland Security, from Justice to Health and Human Services.

Biden unveiled five initiatives Monday, including a directive to get federal agencies more involved in protecting Tribal treaty rights and to give tribes a greater voice in the management of public lands. He said his administration is moving to halt oil and gas drilling around Chaco Canyon in New Mexico and that he was directing agencies to incorporate tribal ecological knowledge to help fight climate change.

The biggest action was the signing of an executive order “addressing the crisis of violence against Native Americans.” It directs Justice, HHS and other agencies to work more closely with tribal authorities on the problem of missing and murdered Indigenous people, to improve the collection of missing persons data, and more.

“Today, I’m directing federal officials to work with tribal nations on a strategy to improve public safety and advance justice,” Biden said Monday as he signed the order, flanked by Interior Secretary Deb Haaland, HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra Attorney General Merrick Garland and Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas.

Posted By on Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 1:00 AM

Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Posted on Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 10:47 AM

The following travel restrictions and road closures will be in place at 6 a.m. Saturday because of the annual El Tour de Tucson bike race.

Downtown – Sixth Avenue, north of 22nd Street and south of Broadway, will be closed to motorists from 3 a.m. to 5 p.m., after the last rider. Expect additional downtown side street closures.

East side – Houghton Road will be closed to motorists from Mary Ann Cleveland Way/Old Vail Road to Sahuarita Road from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m.

West side:

  • Silverbell Road southbound from Ina Road to Goret Road
  • Mission Road eastbound ramp onto Starr Pass Boulevard
Central:
  • Aviation Parkway eastbound from Broadway to Golf Links Road
  • Wilmot Road southbound from Golf Links Road to Davis Monthan
  • Nicaragua Drive/Calle Polar/Escalante Road eastbound from Wilmot Road to Kolb Road

Additional closures include:

  • I-10 and Houghton Road exits
  • Kolb Road southbound from Escalante Road to Valencia Ramp Road
  • Valencia Road eastbound from Kolb Road to Old Vail Road
  • Mary Ann Cleveland Way westbound from Colossal Cave Road to Houghton Road
  • Irvington Road eastbound from Kolb Road to Houghton Road
  • Houghton Road northbound from Irvington Road to Escalante Road
  • Escalante Road eastbound from Houghton Road to Old Spanish Trail will be highly restricted to travel

Further information about El Tour de Tucson, including a route map, can be found at eltourdetucson.org/el-tour-de-tucson/route/.

Motorists may experience lengthy traffic delays associated with this event, so please plan accordingly. The traveling public should use caution when driving, bicycling or walking in these areas. Please watch for event participants, obey all traffic control, and watch for detour signs and personnel providing traffic control.

Posted By on Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 6:45 AM

A majority of Republican respondents in a recent poll wrongly believe that the so-called “audit” of the 2020 election in Maricopa county definitely or probably found evidence of fraud.

Monmouth University polled 811 people across the United States earlier this month, asking a series of questions about the state of the country, the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, government regulation of Facebook and fraud allegations surrounding the 2020 election. The poll included a question about the election review in Maricopa County.

According to the live-caller poll, 62% of Republicans falsely believed the “audit” discovered fraud — 32% of Republican respondents said the audit found evidence, and another 30% aren’t sure but believe it probably found such evidence. Only 23% of Republicans said the audit found that President Joe Biden won or probably won the state fairly.

By contrast, 89% of Democrats said Biden won the state fairly, while 55% of independents say Biden won fairly and 27% said the audit uncovered fraud. In total, 57% said the audit showed that Biden fairly won Arizona, while 29% said it found or probably found fraud in the 2020 election. 

The “audit” that Senate President Karen Fann ordered of the election affirmed that President Joe Biden won Arizona and found no evidence of fraud or rigging. The team that Fann hired to conduct the “audit,” which had no qualifications to review an election and was led by people who openly believe false claims that the election was rigged against Donald Trump, presented a number of issues it considered potentially suspicious. But the team acknowledged that there might be legitimate explanations for those alleged issues. 

Maricopa County officials denied the allegations and provided explanations for many of the issues the audit team raised. The county, the Arizona Mirror and others have proven some, such as claims surrounding signature verification on early ballot affidavits, to be false.