Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Posted By on Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 1:00 AM

Monday, March 29, 2021

Posted By on Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 4:07 PM

click to enlarge UA Transitions To Larger In-Person Classes, But Urges Compliance With COVID-19 Mitigation Restrictions
University of Arizona
University of Arizona President Robert Robbins: “We are in the fourth quarter of this term, and we need to keep doing what we've been doing that's been so successful and gotten us to this point."

The University of Arizona will offer larger in-person classes on Monday, but with “COVID exhaustion” and multiple variants of COVID-19 on campus, President Robert C. Robbins urged continued compliance to mitigation strategies.

University coronavirus policies will not change despite Gov. Doug Ducey’s lifting of COVID-19 related restrictions last week.

“We are in the fourth quarter of this term, and we need to keep doing what we've been doing that's been so successful and gotten us to this point,” said Robbins in the press briefing Monday morning. “The recent executive order from Governor Ducey, regarding COVID-19 restrictions, does not affect university policies, nor does it bar enforcement of these policies.”

He said university face-covering and all other mitigation strategies will remain in place.

The university moves to Stage 3 on Monday, where in-person and flex in-person courses of up to 100 students may offer in-person instruction.

Dr. Michael Worobey, head of the university's Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, found 12 cases of the UK variant (B.1.1.7) and two cases of the California variant (B.1.429) on campus within the past two weeks as part of the research using COVID-19 genomic sequencing to track COVID-19 variants.

These variants, which are highly transmissible and have higher mortality rates, may be contagious for a longer period of time, said Worobey.

“When we look at the literature, we can see that the time when people are likely infectious is probably carried over a little bit later with this variant,” said Worobey. “So you've just got more virus that you're putting out into the world, but it's also a combination of that high viral load over a longer period of time, and that really indicates that a slightly longer isolation or quarantine time is really a smart move. We're dealing with a different beast here and we need to act accordingly.”


Posted By on Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 1:00 PM

Posted By on Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 12:30 PM

FILM REVIEW: NOBODY
Now Playing at Roadhouse Cinemas and Harkins Tucson Spectrum 18


Bob Odenkirk has been one of my comic idols for the past 30 years. His impersonation of Charles Manson on The Ben Stiller Show had me hooked, and his run on Mr. Show with partner-in-crime David Cross solidified him as one of my heroes.

It was a great pleasure to see him pop up on Breaking Bad in a pure dramatic acting role as sleazy lawyer Saul Goodman, and later on the spinoff Better Call Saul as Jimmy McGill (Saul’s real name). The guy should have a shelf full of Emmys for his work on that show.

Nobody, an ultra-violent thriller from writer Derek Kolstad (creator of John Wick) and director Ilya Naishuller, takes Odenkirk in a direction nobody could’ve seen coming. In it, he plays Hutch Mansell, a mild-mannered husband and father who has his house invaded by a couple of nervous crooks. This event ignites an old, buried aspect of Mansell’s personality, an aspect that results in deserving people losing their teeth and getting their tracheas crushed.

Hutch has an assassin’s past and, like a deprived vampire smelling blood or a heroin addict near a pile of drugs, he can’t resist the chance to dive back in. This results in a lot of John Wick-like badassery in which Odenkirk shows he more than has the chops to throw down convincingly on screen. He trained hard for this movie, and it shows with every stunt he partakes in (it’s seemingly always him on screen). Kudos to the fight choreographers for this film, and kudos to Odenkirk who rises to the challenge in majestically bloody fashion.

The plot involves the Russian mob and gold bars, much like Wick, but this film has a very different, more grounded tone. Connie Nielsen is on hand as Hutch’s mysterious wife (she’s pretty darned good at patching up his wounds), and Christopher Lloyd has some of his most on-screen fun in years as Hutch’s also very mysterious dad.

Seeing Odenkirk breaking arms and performing emergency tracheotomies is just about the most bizarre theater-going experience I’ve had in the last decade. It’s also a total blast. I doubt this is the start of an action hero phase for Odenkirk, but who knows? Maybe he has himself a franchise now. I would certainly line up for Nobody: Chapter 2.

Posted By on Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 10:30 AM

click to enlarge Neighbors hope for relief from crematorium smoke as COVID-19 deaths decrease
Kevin Pirehpour/Cronkite News
Pale smoke rises from the Paradise Memorial Crematory in Scottsdale. Maricopa County in April lifted a regulation preventing crematoriums from operating past sunset, helping them deal with the increased number of COVID-19 deaths.

PHOENIX – Rows of cardboard boxes containing corpses line the walls of refrigerated storage containers, waiting for charred human remains to be cleared from the incineration chamber to make room for the next body.

The cremations continue through the night in a scene that has unfolded across America as COVID-19 deaths have risen to more than 540,000 over the past year.

In Arizona, where almost 17,000 have died in the pandemic, the smoke and the hum of crematoriums working overtime have left some neighbors desperate for relief from the odor and pollution.

Arizonans opt for cremation more frequently than the national average, with 67% choosing that option in 2020, according to a July 2020 report from the National Funeral Directors Association.

The national cremation rate reached 56% last year, an increase from 47.9% in 2015, the last reported year. The rise was fueled by the COVID-19 death toll and pandemic restrictions, the low cost of cremation services and the flexible timing for funeral arrangements with cremated ashes.

Some condo owners in east Scottsdale have taken notice of unexpected wafts of smoke and a lingering odor coming from the nearby Paradise Memorial Crematory near 93rd Street and Shea Boulevard.



Posted By on Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 10:00 AM

click to enlarge The Daily Saguaro, Monday 3/29/21
Carl Hanni
Classic

Photos were shot in and around the Tucson Mountains.

Posted By on Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 8:37 AM

With 604 new cases reported today, the total number of Arizona’s confirmed novel coronavirus cases topped 840,000 as of Monday, March 29, according to the Arizona Department of Health Services.

Pima County, which reported 135 new cases today, has seen 112,477 of the state’s 840,492 confirmed cases.

With no new deaths reported this morning, a total of 16, 16,918 Arizonans have died after contracting COVID-19, including 2,345 deaths in Pima County, according to the March 29 report.

A total of 549 coronavirus patients were in the hospital as of March 28. That’s roughly 11% of the number hospitalized at the peak of the winter surge, which reached 5,082 on Jan. 11. The summer peak was 3,517, which was set on July 13, 2020. The subsequent lowest number of hospitalized COVID patients was 468, set on Sept. 27, 2020.

A total of 864 people visited emergency rooms with COVID-like symptoms on March 28. That number represents 37% of the record high of 2,341 set on Tuesday, Dec. 29, 2020. That number had peaked during the summer wave at 2,008 on July 7, 2020; it hit a subsequent low of 653 on Sept. 28, 2020.

A total of 169 COVID-19 patients were in intensive care unit beds on March 28, which roughly 14% of the record 1,183 ICU patients set on Jan. 11. The summer’s record number of patients in ICU beds was 970, set on July 13, 2020. The subsequent low was 114 on Sept. 22, 2020.



Sunday, March 28, 2021

Posted By on Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 10:30 AM

click to enlarge The Daily Saguaro, Sunday 3/28/21
Carl Hanni
The Grab

Photos were shot in and around the Tucson Mountains.

Saturday, March 27, 2021

Posted By on Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 10:00 AM

click to enlarge The Daily Saguaro, Saturday, 3/27/21
Carl Hanni
Skin

Photos were shot in and around the Tucson Mountains.

Friday, March 26, 2021

Posted By on Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 4:31 PM

click to enlarge Arizona To Allow Pima County Federal Vax Site, As Long As It's Independent of the State
Arizona Governor's Office file photo
Gov. Doug Ducey and Arizona Department of Health Services Director Dr. Cara Christ

The Arizona Department of Health Services will allow Pima County to independently work with FEMA to run a federal vaccination POD, as long as it does not impact state allocation, said ADHS Director Dr. Cara Christ on Friday afternoon.

Christ said a letter was sent before Friday's media briefing that allows Pima County to work with FEMA.

“Pima County has provided their assurances that they will be able to support these sites,” said Christ. “We are hoping that is without having any impact on any of the other currently operating sites or activities that they have planned and to have in writing that FEMA said that this would remain.”

Christ outlined several assurances the state would like to allow at the federal vaccination site in the letter to FEMA Acting Regional Administrator Tammy L. Littrell.

"To accommodate your offer, and the County’s interest, we are working to ensure they have delegated authority to independently partner with FEMA on a site if they deem it appropriate for their community so long as it does not result in a reduction of existing vaccine supply to the state or impact state vaccine resources and operations. This should include fulfillment by Pima County and the federal government to provide the resources required by FEMA of state or local jurisdictions in order to have a FEMA-operated vaccination site.

These include:

  • On-site cold chain storage for the vaccine, including emergency backup power to the storage equipment to ensure continuous cold storage in the event of a power disruption.
  • Pharmacy Operations Support.
  • Appropriate county medical oversight to ensure compliance with state and county direction.
  • A Vaccine Registration System, because the state will not be able to support onboarding of a FEMA-operated vaccination site onto the Arizona Vaccine Management System.
  • Locally contracted communication lines and access (e.g., landline/cellphone and computer/internet).
  • Wrap-around local support services for the site.
  • Site security at the vaccination site.
  • She added, "In addition, while not included in the list of requirements provided by your team, the site will need to comply with Arizona immunization reporting requirements, reporting all required vaccination data back to the Arizona State Immunization Information System within 24 hours of administration as required by Governor Ducey’s Executive Order 2021-01.”

    Christ noted the state’s hesitancy to authorize the federal vaccination site because of recent experiences with Pima County, citing the county’s request that the state reimburses them for COVID-19 testing during the height of the pandemic and calling them a “frequent requestor” of administrative staff for vaccination sites.

    Christ wrote, “Given the dramatic financial constraints they claim to experience from these activities, we would like to get written assurance that Pima County and/or the federal government is able to appropriately fund the activities required to operate a FEMA site until reimbursement from FEMA is obtained.”

    Pima County Health Department Director Dr. Theresa Cullen received the news about Christ’s letter during her own briefing and said she was happy to hear about a possible reversal in the decision and hoped to have it in writing soon.

    “We've been doing planning, with the expectation that perhaps a miracle would happen that there'd be a significant change in the decision making,” said Cullen. “I think what it points out, in this case, is this recognition that Pima County itself was very vocal in sharing its concern, and its commitment to get additional vaccine into the county. This can only be a win for us.”

    Cullen said that while it has been clear to the county and reiterated by FEMA that the federal POD would not affect the federal government’s vaccine allocation to the state, she is unsure whether the county allocation would be affected.

    “Now, is it possible that the state itself could then, subsequently, make a decision about our allocation? Yes.

    “We have no transparency into how the state decides what to allow to us.”

    In discussions with Littrell, Cullen said they discussed the reasons why they would want access to the vaccine and PODs. She told them they “would intentionally focus on improving our access to our vulnerable population” and hoped to show “HHS, FEMA, the state and other jurisdictions, perhaps a more targeted way to do this to reach the more vulnerable populations.”

    Cullen said it was difficult to change the number of vaccinated Hispanics, and noted that for two to three weeks it remained at about 14 percent, but changed to 16 percent as of Friday.

    Pima County Updates Public Health Advisory

    After the decision by Gov. Doug Ducey to loosen restrictions on businesses and sporting events as well as “phase out” mask mandates, Pima County Health Department released their Public Health Advisory on Friday afternoon.

    It says that mitigation strategies, including wearing masks at all times in public or when less than six feet from someone not in the same household, and washing your hands. All gatherings should be held outdoors wherever possible. They should be limited to know more than 200 people and only held in settings and venues where social distancing is possible. Indoor events must be in spaces that provide at least 150 square feet per person, with mitigation strategies in place.

    More than 1 out of every 450 Pima County residents has died due to COVID-19. With about 90 people in the hospital with COVID-19 and more than 30 in intensive care units and eight cases of the UK variant at the University of Arizona, Cullen is worried but wants the community to continue to comply with layered mitigation measures.

    “We know we have not adequately immunized the community. We know we still have reported cases in the community, we still have hospitalizations, we still have ICU admissions,” said Cullen. “Now is not the time for individuals, businesses, organizations or government, in my opinion, to lift any of the mitigation measures that are available to them to help stop the transmission of this virus.”

    Pima County also decided not to join the rest of the state after Ducey opened eligibility to all those 16 and older.

    The county limited eligibility to those 16 and older living with a disability, experiencing homelessness, living in a congregate setting/receive in-home or long-term care or with a high-risk medical condition.

    “The state's decision came as a surprise to us,” said Cullen. “We were not in the discussion and so we heard about it at the same time that you heard about it.”

    She said they always anticipated that the county would go to full opening on May 1, when the Biden administration set that date as a goal.

    However, in the past few weeks, Cullen said they got an “increasing number of concerning emails, social media and calls from people that had chronic diseases 25-year-olds with diabetes, 32-year-olds who have cancer and they've been unable to get vaccinated.”

    They wanted to give them a “protected slice of the pie” and ensure that they could get vaccinated.

    Cullen said when more of those in at-risk groups are vaccinated, the county will open up to all 16 and older. She said she expected that to happen in the next 10 days.

    As of Friday, Pima County has administered 432, 779 vaccines and 26.6 percent of residents have been fully vaccinated. Cullen said to reach 70 percent vaccination in the county, about 700,000 vaccines are needed.